Monday, July 17, 2017

Gifted Gorgeousness July

Yay, I made it on time..phew.   Of course it was cleverly planned, not pure luck that I happened to say to myself  "well, it's time to do a blog post" and by happy coincidence it was today.  Na-ah...nope. It was planned, right down to the tee.

So: behind in plans because we've got sunshine and 'stuff''.  Life is always full of oh so much stuff, isn't it? But I do have things to share with you.

Gifted Gorgeousness is a wonderful idea, and it was brought to life by Jo of Serendipitous Stitching. We get to share things we have made for others, or things we have received.  Cool, right?

So I've actually got things to share.  The first is the little cardigan I made for my granddaughter.



It's been posted so hopefully it will get to her soon and I can find out if it fit her or not before starting another.

With the wool I had left, I made two little baby tops for The Mayo and Roscommon Hospice fundraiser.  You can see our fundraiser if you're on facebook, HERE.



One angel wings pinafore dress.



And a little short sleeved cardigan.  I'm not sure about this one but it looked nice on my granddaughter's Hare toy (which is living with me for now...until I can bear to send him home with his real owner).

I haven't done any stitching at all.  I've managed to get Anita Neptune's story away to my amazing proof reader and the next flower for M'Lady's SAL has been released but no stitching at all.  My photos are terrible so I'm sharing the photo of the computer mock up.  This week it is Truthful Honesty.



My crafting mojo has been limited and replaced with sorrow and reflection.

Unfortunately we had to have our little Border Terrier, Portly, put to sleep and it's really thrown me.  He was 16 and he'd grown up with my sons so I felt that I wasn't only loosing him, I was loosing the final link to my sons being little. I know, weird, but that is how I felt. 

We took him to the vet on Saturday and she gave us the news that his kidneys were failing but that he wasn't suffering at the moment.  We made the decision to bring him home for the weekend and spoil him rotten before taking him back.  I think a part of me was hoping he would fall asleep in his bed and just not wake up.  Unfortunately, on the Sunday he took a drastic turn for the worse and we had to rush him back to the vets where, fortunately our main vet, John, was in, working on an emergency caesarean.  

John was perfect with us.  My son had held Portly in a blanket in the car and I took over when we got to the vets.  I refused to put Portly on the table.  He was cuddling me and was calm and I wanted him to stay that way.  John was so gentle with him and it was over in moment.  He died in my arms, and the last thing he saw were my husband and son's faces and the last thing he felt was my arms around him and the boys stroking him.

We buried him wrapped in a blanket, with a couple of flower pots (his favourite toys) and planted a flowering cherry next to him.  He's near my kitchen window, in a spot he used to love lying in, sunbathing.  

I miss him so much it hurts.  He was old, a bit smelly, balding in places like an old teddy bear and incontinent. But heck, he was a good and loyal little dog, he was my son's best friend and he put up with the arrival of four more dogs, chickens, geese and ducks and took it all in his stride.  He had every right to be as smelly as he liked, and well, the floor can be washed.

I miss him.  I miss his getting under my feet constantly tripping me up. I miss him sneezing at us every time we stroked him.  I miss him.  

So, I guess I'm thanking Portly for gifting us the perfect companionship my boys needed as they grew up.  For gifting us with his loyalty, his love and his horrifically stinky wind issues.  Thank you Portly. I hope he will be there waiting for me when it's my turn..and I won't mind one bit if he still smells.







12 comments:

  1. Losing your furr-baby is one of the hardest things, truly like losing a child. My condolences, the pain is unbearable at first but it will get better. Portly looked like a lovebug, he will be there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets truly become our family and take up so much room in our hearts. He looked like a such a loving dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gaynor. I am so sorry dear Portly has passed. Exactly one week ago our sweet Mabel died here at home with all five of us around her. I know just how your heart aches. I do. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss :( But I am sure Portly has lived his life as a part of your family to the fullest and was the happiest a puppy could ever be, right up to his final moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Portly. It was so sudden...Biggest Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful crocheting you have done there! I am sure you granddaughter will look cute as can be in that cardigan!

    So sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a furbaby is such a hard thing to cope with but I hope having him near is a bit of a comfort for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Gaynor.... so sad for you :-(
    lots of love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to read that you lost dear Portly. We don't have pets but I fully understand how hard it must be to lose them.

    That cardigan you made for your little granddaughter is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss, he looked a little character. Looking forward to stitching the Honesty and your crochet is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking part in GG this month with your lovely little cardigans.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your little dog but I am glad that you were able to hold him at the end and bring him home to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very sorry for your loss of Portly, but it sounds like he has been laid to rest in a beautiful way x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to read that you lost dear Portly. We don't have pets but I fully understand how hard it must be to lose them.

    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping on and reading my blog. I love to read your comments and if you do comment, it means I can find your blog..one can never follow too many blogs!.

My Website