Yup...honestly. I spent the whole of yesterday sewing and stitching and being a busy, busy bee. I have to have another surgical proceedure in just over a weeks time and boy isn't craft great for keeping you mind off such things.
Firstly, I have finished my panel. I am thrilled. I really enjoyed hand stitching the motives to get that lovely puffed-up effect. I machine quilted around the borders and of course added the very medieval type material around the outside: I know there is a name for this style but darned if I can remember it. The first picture is of the quilt and the second is what the colours really look like. Darn light. Darn camera. Darn pictures xx
I learnt a lot doing the binding...which is teacher-talk for made a lot of booboos. I used 2 inches of material doubled (crafty tip given to me by one of the wonderful quilters at my group). I think next time I will use 2.5 inches and give myself a little more of a border effect. Also, not sure what I did to get the corners: not convinced that what I did was right but I know not to do it next time! Lessons learnt!
I have to admit though, it was a pain hand stitching the back of the binding..I know I didn't have to stay up into the small hours to get it finished but I really, really wanted to.
I used a stitch which I usually use to join knitted seams. It makes an invisible seam to I am thrilled to say it worked here as well.
I also took the two blocks I cut out ages and ages ago from the quilting magazine and simply went for it. No thinking, no analysing...just plain stitching.
A little stitching has been achieved...
And it was fun. right...now I have a blank canvas waiting for me to play with it and a portfolio to develop because I am applying to do an art degree!! I know!! How exciting...doesnt mean I will get on it but the portfolio itself will be fun, fun, fun!
Have a great week everyone!